1. Managing Director
  2. Managing Director
  3. Managing Director
  4. Managing Director
  5. Managing Director
  6. Managing Director
  7. Managing Director
  8. Managing Director
​​Contents
 Evy - Mike - Gallery - Links - Contact -
Hover over "More" -> Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 & Blog
​​
   FriendsofPontoise.com

About  our Towns



 Sevenoaks, UK

 Pontoise, France

Sevenoaks 25 miles from central London
Population  30,000
​The town's motto is "Floreant Septum Quercus" -
" May the Seven Oaks Flourish "

The name "Sevenoaks" originated from the Saxon word 'Seouenaca', a name given in about 800 A.D. to a small chapel near seven Oaks in Knole Park. Sevenoaks was historically part of the Great Manor of Otford, held by the Archbishops of Canterbury.

The importance of Sevenoaks grew from the merging of the two main roads from London and Dartford into one main route heading south through the Weald to the coast. It was therefore a suitable venue for a market and this was established in the mid 13th century. Sevenoaks has remained a market town to this day

The famous Sevenoaks School was founded in 1432 and is generally considered to be the oldest secular school in England

In 1456 the then Archbishop of Canterbury, Archbishop Bourchier, purchased the 100 acre estate of Knole and built the great house which lies to the eastern side of the town. This was later appropriated by Henry VII and then passed on to Queen Elizabeth I who gave it to her cousin Thomas Sackville.

The parish church of St Nicholas, one of the oldest churches in sevenoaks, dates from the 13th to the 15th century. Poet John Donne served as rector of St Nicholas from 1616 to 1631

Sevenoaks is home to the Vine cricket ground, which may well be the oldest cricket ground in existence, as a match was reported here in 1734.

Sevenoaks is home to the Vine cricket ground, which may well be the oldest cricket ground in existence, as a match was reported here in 1734.

In January 1967, The Beatles made promotional films for "Strawberry Fields Forever" and "Penny Lane" in Knole Park

Six of the Seven mighty oaks on the Vine were up-rooted inThe Great Storm of 1987

 Pontoise 25 kilometres from central Paris Population 30,000​​

Pontoise is one half of the dual township of Cergy-Pontoise to the north west of Paris. As its name suggests, the town lies at an ancient crossing point over the river Oise.

Around 10Km downstream, the river joins the Seine. In terms of history, Pontoise is a fascinating place. Mont Belien, which overlooks the river, is the original site of the town, but the 10th century marked the beginning of gradual growth that led to a time of prosperity for Pontoise, between the 12th and 14th centuries when the capetian kings used to enjoy visiting the town. Towards the end of the hundred years war, and during the wars of religion, Pontoise was frequently besieged and it was during this time that the numerous vaulted tunnels and catacombs were constructed within the calcareous rock that makes up Mont Belien. The castle, which stood within the city walls, was demolished in the 18th century, but the 12th to 15th century Cathedral Saint-Maclou and the church of Notre-Dame, rebuilt in 1590, remain, along with much in the way of medieval architecture. The annual fair, the Foire Saint-Martin, usually in November, has been held every year since 1170!

Of the 163,000 inhabitants of the conurbation of Cergy-Pontoise, 30,000 live in the town of Pontoise, making it similar in size to Sevenoaks. But it was the countryside and rivers of the Oise valley that inspired the many impressionist painters who came to the area at the end of the 19th century, notably Camille Pissarro, who made his home in Pontoise. The Museum Pissarro houses some 300 paintings by the likes of Caillebotte, Daubigny, Daumier, Hayet and Piette, as well as Pissarro himself. The Museum Tavet has a more comprehensive collection of paintings, including modern art. As if that wasn't enough, the department is littered with grand buildings representing archtectural styles going back over 10 centuries. Notable are the Chateau d'Ecouen, which houses the Museum National de la Renaissance, the Chateau de la Roche-Guyon and the Eglise d'Auvers-sur-Oise, made famous by Van Gogh.

Roast beef with Kent fine wines at The Grand Gala Dinner 2016

Top table

Heading 1

Heading 1

Heading 1

Heading 2

Heading 3